“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”-Rachel Carson
Nature is wondrous. Our world is made of so much beauty. Fire, wind, water, earth and air, all are elemental wonders that just leave me speechless. When we can connect and feel close to the elements we can have the experience of being grounded and closer to the natural world and Mother Nature.
Our day-to-day lives can put us in positions to be rather disconnected from the raw, untapped benefits of the earth. There’s a tendency to jump from task to task, being mindlessly disengaged from the element that provides us our home.
So, how do we live by the elements?
First, let’s start with living by the Earth.
Our planet provides us with all of the essentials we need to survive…and then some. It provides us with our oxygen, water, food, and so much more. Connecting with Earth and living by its elements might sound abstract but can be profoundly energizing, peaceful and enlightening. Its energy has a way of linking with ours and tapping into our innermost, primal beings. That innermost, primal being is intuitive, a concept lost on many due to the societal pressure to be in constant motion, never slowing down to embrace the healing energies of mother nature.
Here are 5 ways to connect with Earth in a healing way:
- Earthing/Forest bathing – as mentioned in a previous post, these practices are rooted in ancient cultures such as Native American indigenous tribes and emphasize connection. You can read more about it HERE
- Grounding meditation – plop yourself down in a peaceful landscape where you can allow your mind to become still and connected to the environment around you. Use visualization practices or guided imagery to tap into the wonder of earth.
- Get involved with gardening – growing plants is a great way to connect with earth as you are intentionally contributing to the abundance of life that already exists and instills hope. “To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” -Audrey Hepburn
- Do it barefoot – ground yourself through planting your feet firmly on the ground with no barrier. Challenge yourself to feel the vibrations of earth.
- Use grounding techniques to become more present and mindful – allow yourself the time and space to sit and engage your senses. Take pause and reflect on 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can touch, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste.
With intention, connecting to our elemental worlds can provide solace from the fears, anxieties and worries that might run through your mind. As an extra challenge, make note of how you feel before and after engaging in these practices to see what differences you notice.
And don’t be afraid to seek out support! Join us over in the Mind-Body-Spirit Balancers Facebook Group for more guidance how to feel connected to the world around you.
Want 1-1 support? Contact Jamie HERE for ways you can work together.
**This is a guest post! Kate is a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional, a Certified Health Coach and a Registered Mental Health Counselor Intern who works as a therapist in private practice. She enjoys exploring local hot spots and is a huge foodie. Her clinical experience ranges from trauma and grief to individuals struggling to manage life transitions and maintaining work-life balance. Kate also loves working with couples striving to make their relationships healthier. Learn more about her HERE.